Epoxy, and epoxy adhesives, are popular products to use for DIY and paid trades work. They’re versatile and long-lasting products suitable for a variety of different projects. You use epoxy in scenarios or work where two materials need to be glued together.
Examples of scenarios include adding a detail to a larger structure by gluing them together, or if you need to bind a subfloor. Another key feature of epoxy is that it can be used with different materials, from masonry to wood.
In simple terms, epoxy is a polymer. Polymers are common in our daily lives, to name a few; wool, or rubber are also polymers.
Two primary types of epoxy adhesives are sold. Heat cured epoxies (also known as one-part epoxies), and two-part epoxies. There are some key differences between the two that you should be aware of.
Heat cured epoxies (one-part epoxies)
Heat cured epoxies are used in the industrial business quite a lot, however, they’re rarely used in construction. This is because they require a substantially high temperature for them to cure, with 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Due to boasting a tough durability, you’ll see heat-cured epoxies used with electronic components. Highly advanced devices such as missile warning systems will also use heat cured epoxies internally.
Whereas heat cured epoxies require 200 degrees minimum to cure, two-part epoxies are a lot easier to cure. You mix the epoxy resin (also known as the steel) with hardener, and over the course of 24 hours it will cure.
Two-part epoxies are used in construction, as well as the automotive, boating, and aeronautical industries. You can use epoxy to secure a countertop to a substrate, fasten concrete to concrete or metal, or apply it in various other projects.
Benefits of using epoxy adhesives
Some of the benefits of using epoxy adhesives and resin kits include:
- Strong and durable: Epoxy is incredibly strong and durable, making it an ideal choice for use in high-traffic areas or in industrial and commercial settings.
- Resistant to moisture: Epoxy is highly resistant to moisture, making it an excellent choice for use in wet areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and swimming pools.
- Chemical resistance: Epoxy is resistant to a wide range of chemicals, including acids, bases, and solvents, making it an ideal choice for use in laboratories and other industrial settings.
- Easy to clean: Epoxy is easy to clean and maintain, making it an excellent choice for use in high-traffic areas or in environments that require frequent cleaning.
- Versatility: Epoxy can be used for a wide range of applications, including flooring, countertops, and even artwork.
- Aesthetically pleasing: Epoxy can be customized to create a variety of colors, patterns, and designs, making it an attractive choice for decorative applications.
- UV resistance: Epoxy is highly resistant to UV rays, making it an ideal choice for outdoor applications such as decks, patios, and walkways.
- Low maintenance: Epoxy is a low-maintenance material that requires minimal upkeep, making it a cost-effective choice in the long term.
Epoxy sold by BC Profiles
Here are some of our favourite epoxy products at BC Profiles:
- Tricel TriCast 10 Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin Kit. This clear resin is perfect for art and decoration because the resin is clear rather than a colour or shade. It can be purchased in various sizes to suit your needs.