Weeding a garden can be a tedious task, but it is an essential part of keeping your landscape looking beautiful and healthy. However, it’s important to know the best time to weed your garden, as well as how to do it whilst keeping damage to your garden to a minimum.
This guide will teach you how to weed your garden effectively using the products available from the BC Profiles shop.
Before understanding how to weed your garden, it’s important to know the best time of year to do it.
When is the best time of year to weed your garden?
Unless it’s snowy or icy, you’ll always have to weed your garden, however, there are better times of year than others.
Ideally, you should weed your garden in either spring or early summer, because this is when weeds first emerge for the year. March until June is the ideal time to weed, after that, you’ll have to weed less.
How to weed using to using hand tools
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to effectively weed your house’s garden:
- Ensure you have the tools you will need: A good pair of safety gloves, a hand trowel or small gardening fork, and a watering can or hose.
- Identify the weeds: Look for plants that are different from the ones you planted on purpose. Weeds often have distinctive leaves and grow much faster than the other plants you may be growing. Here’s a guide on how to identify common weeds.
- Remove the weeds: Using the hand trowel or fork, dig up the weeds by the roots. Be sure to remove as much of the root system as possible to prevent regrowth. If the weeds are in hard soil, you can wet the soil first so it is easier to remove.
- Dispose of the weeds: Once you have removed the weeds, do not leave them on the soil. They can regrow if left on the ground or can spread to other areas of the garden. Dispose of them in a compost bin or trash bag.
- Water the soil: After weeding, water the soil to help the remaining plants recover.
You can also use a weedkiller or weed control product such as Roudup’s Fast Action Weedkiller or Weedol’s Rootkill Plus which will efficiently remove weeds from your garden in an environmentally friendly fashion.
To use a weedkiller, follow these simple steps:
- Identify the weeds: If you want to use weedkiller, the weeds need to be away from any green plants, otherwise when sprayed, the weedkiller will kill them. If you use a ready to-to-use spray they can be used on smaller areas, so there’s less of a risk of this.
- Pick your day: Once the weeds are identified, you need to wait for a dry day where rain isn’t expected for at least six hours and spray the weedkiller.
- Wait: After however long your weedkiller says to wait, dig up the weed completely after it’s died using a garden trowel or fork.
If you have questions regarding our landscaping products, please don’t hesitate to contact the BC Profiles customer support team.